When you’re setting up the home of your dreams, it’s important to create a space that leaves you inspired and motivated to get your creative work done. But setting up a dream home office calls for a little organization and a plan. Try these effective tips on setting up your home office for your creative career:
1. Create a Focal Inspiration Wall
Go for a theme by creating a focal inspiration wall. Consider using wallpaper in fun, vibrant or interesting colors and textures, including Pantone’s 2019 color of the year Living Coral or your favorite color. You can also create an eye-catching inspiration wall that takes center stage by hanging up your favorite artwork, such as artwork and prints from fashion illustrators, including Megan Hess, Katie Rogers and Dallas Shaw.
2. Get Organized the Marie Kondo Way
Professional organizer Marie Kondo’s KonMari Method provides several principles based on decluttering and organizing for easy and quick ways to declutter your office you can try, including:
- Visualize your space. Start by envisioning how you want your space to function.
- Make staying organized a mindset. Make tidying a mindset by always starting with decluttering and followed by organizing. Tidy up all at once so you don’t let it turn into a chore for the next day.
- Get rid of stuff that doesn’t spark joy. Under the KonMari method, getting rid of more items you have makes it easier to keep your office tidy. So, organize your desk by sorting the items you use from the ones you don’t use and only keep the ones that spark joy.
- Tidy by category. Clean up your space by category to reduce confusion during the decluttering process. Sort through all your papers rather than sorting through the papers in your file cabinet and then the paper stack on your desk.
- Keep storage simple. Simplify your storage by using a filing cabinet or box to store important artwork and files. Consider standing your items upright so you can easily see them and use color-coded labels to quickly identify your files.
3. Decorate Like Megan Hess
If your dream office combines a mix between a gorgeous gallery and high-end office, then take a few tips from fashion illustrator Megan Hess. Hess keeps her home office perfectly pared-down and high-end, airy and eclectic by pairing trinkets from her world travels with custom furniture in a metallic, light pink and white color scheme.
Setting up your home office of your dreams is simple when you have a plan. Just use these tips to get organized so you can have the creative space you’ve always wanted.